2013 CAF Champions League Final
|Event||2013 CAF Champions League|
|Date||2 November 2013|
|Venue||Orlando Stadium, Johannesburg|
|Referee||Djamel Haimoudi (Algeria)|
|Date||10 November 2013|
|Venue||Arab Contractors Stadium, Cairo|
|Referee||Bakary Gassama (Gambia)|
The 2013 CAF Champions League Final was the final of the 2013 CAF Champions League, the 49th edition of Africa's premier club football tournament organized by the Confederation of African Football (CAF), and the 17th edition under the current CAF Champions League format.
The final was contested in two-legged home-and-away format between Orlando Pirates of South Africa and Al-Ahly of Egypt. The first leg was hosted by Orlando Pirates at the Orlando Stadium in Johannesburg on 2 November 2013, while the second leg was hosted by Al-Ahly at the Arab Contractors Stadium in Cairo on 10 November 2013. The winner earned the right to represent the CAF at the 2013 FIFA Club World Cup, entering at the quarterfinal stage, as well as play in the 2014 CAF Super Cup against the winner of the 2013 CAF Confederation Cup.
Al-Ahly were the defending champions, and also the most successful club in the African Champions Cup/CAF Champions League, reaching a total of nine finals, winning seven (1982, 1987, 2001, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012) and losing two (1983, 2007).
Orlando Pirates were the only South African club to have been crowned African club champion, having won the final in 1995.
The two teams had met in the group stage, with Orlando Pirates winning in Egypt 3–0, then earning a goalless draw at home on the last matchday against an already-qualified Al-Ahly to clinch a spot in the semifinals.
Road to final
Note: In all results below, the score of the finalist is given first.
|Opponent||Agg.||1st leg||2nd leg||Qualifying rounds||Opponent||Agg.||1st leg||2nd leg|
|Djabal Club||9–0||5–0 (H)||4–0 (A)||Preliminary round||Bye|
|Zanaco||3–1||1–0 (A)||2–1 (H)||First round||Tusker||4–1||2–1 (A)||2–0 (H)|
|TP Mazembe||3–2||3–1 (H)||0–1 (A)||Second round||CA Bizertin||2–1||0–0 (A)||2–1 (H)|
|AC Léopards||0–0 (H)||Matchday 1||Zamalek||1–1 (A)|
|Al-Ahly||3–0 (A)||Matchday 2||Orlando Pirates||0–3 (H)|
|Zamalek||4–1 (H)||Matchday 3||AC Léopards||1–0 (A)|
|Zamalek||1–2 (A)||Matchday 4||AC Léopards||2–1 (H)|
|AC Léopards||0–1 (A)||Matchday 5||Zamalek||4–2 (H)|
|Al-Ahly||0–0 (H)||Matchday 6||Orlando Pirates||0–0 (A)|
|Group A runner-up
|Final standings||Group A winner
|Opponent||Agg.||1st leg||2nd leg||Knock-out stage||Opponent||Agg.||1st leg||2nd leg|
|Espérance de Tunis||1–1 (a)||0–0 (H)||1–1 (A)||Semifinals||Coton Sport||2–2 (7–6p)||1–1 (A)||1–1 (H)|
The final was played on a home-and-away two-legged basis. If the sides were level on aggregate after the second leg, the away goals rule was applied, and if still level, the tie proceeded directly to a penalty shoot-out (no extra time was played).
2 November 2013
|Matlaba 90+3'||Report||Aboutrika 14'|
10 November 2013
| Aboutrika 54'
Abd El-Zaher 78'
- "2013 Orange Champions League Final" (PDF). CAF.
- "Regulations of the CAF Champions League" (PDF). Confédération Africaine de Football. Retrieved 14 December 2011.
- "Matlaba snatches vital draw for Pirates". CAF. 2 November 2013.
- "Ahly beat Pirates for African title". CAF. 10 November 2013.
- "Africa reveals a most deserving winner". ESPN. 11 November 2013. Retrieved 20 November 2013.
- "Super eight for Al Ahly as they outlast Pirates". FIFA.com. 11 November 2013. Retrieved 20 November 2013.
- "Al Ahly retain African Champions League". Goal.com. 11 November 2013. Retrieved 20 November 2013.
- "Aboutrika steers Al Ahli to Champions League title". Reuters.com. 11 November 2013. Retrieved 20 November 2013.
- "Al Ahly wins African club title". Sports Illustrated. 11 November 2013. Retrieved 20 November 2013.