2012 UCI Road World Championships
|Host city||Valkenburg, the Netherlands|
|Date(s)||September 15–23, 2012|
|Cyclists participating||elite, under-23, junior|
|2012 UCI Road World Championships|
|List of elite cyclists|
|Elite road race||men||women|
|Elite time trial||men||women|
|Elite team time trial||men||women|
|Under-23 road race||men|
|Under-23 time trial||men|
|Junior road race||men||women|
|Junior time trial||men||women|
The 2012 UCI Road World Championships took place in the southern part of the Dutch province of Limburg, also known as South Limburg, between September 15 and 23. The event consisted of a road race and a time trial for men, women and men under 23, and team time trials for elite men and women. It will be the 79th Road World Championships. Castelfidardo near Loreto in Italy was also a candidate, but Italy had held the UCI Road World Championships in Varese in 2008. The Netherlands last hosted the Road World Championships in 1998 in Valkenburg aan de Geul and this time it was the seventh time in total that the country has hosted the championships.
The 2012 championships had a number of changes compared to the former editions. A team time trial is set to be reintroduced. This was last competed as a world championship event in 1994 between nations. The reintroduction will see trade teams compete, similar to the Eindhoven Team Time Trial held between 2005 and 2007. The Junior championships will also be on the programme. With the extra events, the championships will be held over two weekends (nine days) and will also include an opening ceremony and a cyclosportive event.
- September 16
- 11:00–12:30 – Team Time Trial – UCI Women's teams, 34.2 km, Sittard-Geleen – Valkenburg aan de Geul
- 13:30–16:40 – Team Time Trial – UCI Men's teams, 53.2 km, Sittard-Geleen – Valkenburg aan de Geul
- September 17
- 10:00–12:05 – Individual Time trial – Junior Men, 26,6 km, Landgraaf – Valkenburg aan de Geul
- 14:00–16:25 – Individual Time trial – Under 23 Men, 36,0 km, Landgraaf – Valkenburg aan de Geul
- September 18
- 10:30–12:20 – Individual Time trial – Junior Women, 15.6 km, Eijsden-Margraten – Valkenburg aan de Geul
- 14:30–16:50 – Individual Time trial – Elite Women, 24.3 km, Eijsden-Margraten – Valkenburg aan de Geul
- September 19
- September 21
- 14:00–16:10 – Road race – Junior Women, 80 km, 5 x Circuit (5 x 16.125 km)
- September 22
- 09:00–13:15 – Road race – Under 23 Men, 177 km, 11 x Circuit (11 x 16.125 km)
- 14:30–17:45 – Road race – Elite Women, 129 km, 8 x Circuit (8 x 16.125 km)
- September 23
- 09:00–12:10 – Road race – Junior Men, 129 km, 8 x Circuit (8 x 16.125 km)
- 10:45–17:00 – Road race – Elite Men, 267 km, Start in Maastricht, then, after 106 km through the southern part of the province of Limburg, 10 x Circuit (10 x 16.125 km)
Circuit = west on Rijksweg in Vilt, continuing through Berg en Terblijt onto Bergerstraat, turning left grazing Maastricht on the east by going south on Molenweg, then turning left and continuing east on Bemelerweg, continuing onto Oude Akerstraat and Bemelerberg through Bemelen, continuing onto Gasthuis, turning left and continuing northeast On Smitserweg, which turns into Bemelerweg grazing Sibbe on the west and into Daalhemerweg curving to north all the way into Valkenburg aan de Geul, at the end turning left onto Cauberg, back to Vilt.
Cyclists from 74 national federations participated. The number of cyclists per nation that competed, excluding riders in the team time trials, is shown in parentheses.
| Participating national federations|
Click on a nation to go to the nations' 2012 UCI Road World Championships page
|1||Germany||3||0||1||4||See also: Germany at the 2012 UCI Road World Championships|
|6||Netherlands||1||0||2||3||See also: Netherlands at the 2012 UCI Road World Championships|
Team time trials are included under the UCI registration country of the team.
- Moore, Richard (23 September 2009). "Radical changes for 2012 World Championships". Retrieved 13 April 2010.