2008 All-Pro Team
The 2008 All-Pro Team is composed of the National Football League (NFL) players that were named to the Associated Press (AP), Pro Football Writers Association (PFWA), and Sporting News All-Pro Teams in 2008. These are the current teams that historically appear in Total Football: The Official Encyclopedia of the NFL. Although the NFL has no official awards, according to the NFL spokesman Greg Aiello, the NFL Record and Fact Book has historically listed All-Pro teams from major news sources such as the Associated Press, Sporting News, Pro Football Writers Association, as well as teams from organizations that no longer release All-Pro teams such as Newspaper Enterprise Association and United Press International.
The AP team is selected by a national panel of 50 media members, and it lists both first and second teams. The Sporting News surveyes 664 players, coaches, and general managers to determine its All-Pro team. The Pro Football Writers Association's All-NFL team results from the votes of over 300 members as well as from the editors and writers of Pro Football Weekly, who present the PFWA awards.
|Position||First Team||Second Team|
|Kicker||Stephen Gostkowski, New England Patriots (AP, PFWA, SN)||John Carney, New York Giants (AP-2)|
|Punter||Shane Lechler, Oakland Raiders (AP, PFWA, SN)||Donnie Jones, St. Louis Rams (AP-2)|
|Kick returner||Leon Washington, New York Jets (AP)
Danieal Manning, Chicago Bears (PFWA)
Leodis McKelvin, Buffalo Bills (SN)
|Clifton Smith, Tampa Bay Buccaneers (AP-2)|
|Punt returner[d]|| Johnnie Lee Higgins, Oakland Raiders (PFWA)
Reggie Bush, New Orleans Saints (SN)
|Special teams[e]||Brendon Ayanbadejo, Baltimore Ravens (PFWA)|
Key / Notes
- AP = Associated Press All-Pro team
- AP-2 = Associated Press Second-team All-Pro
- PFWA = Pro Football Writers Association All-NFL team
- SN = The Sporting News All-Pro Team
- a Only the AP designates fullbacks.
- b The Sporting News groups all linebackers together, while the AP and PFWA have separate awards for outside and inside linebackers.
- c The AP names two inside linebackers, while the Sporting News and PFWA name only one
- d The AP does not designate a punt returner.
- e Only PFWA designates a special teams player.
- "Despite no MVP votes, Brees is the Offensive Player of the Year". Profootballtalk.com. January 6, 2009. Archived from the original on 26 February 2009. Retrieved January 28, 2009.
- "2008 All-Pro Team Voting". ESPN.com. Associated Press. January 9, 2009. Archived from the original on 16 January 2009. Retrieved January 9, 2009.
- "Ravens safety Reed is only unanimous selection to All-Pro team". NFL.com. Associated Press. January 9, 2009. Archived from the original on 16 January 2009. Retrieved January 9, 2009.
- Brown, Clifton (January 14, 2009). "SN's NFL All-Pro Team". SportingNews.com. Archived from the original on 18 January 2009. Retrieved January 28, 2009.
- Edholm, Eric (January 13, 2009). "2008 PFW/PFWA awards: All-NFL team". ProFootballWeekly.com. Retrieved January 28, 2009.