2005 World Music Awards
Under the patronage of Prince Albert II of Monaco the 17th annual World Music Awards were conducted at the Kodak Theatre in Hollywood, California on August 31, 2005. This is only the second time that the awards show has been held outside of Monaco. The five-hour awards show was co-hosted by Carmen Electra and Desperate Housewives' James Denton. The awards are based solely on record sales certified by the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry, a London-based trade group that represents the major record labels. Proceeds are donated to the Prince's favorite charity: the Monaco Aide and Presence Foundation. Usher, Kenny "Babyface" Edmonds, Amerie, Rihanna, and Teairra Marí paid tribute to Destiny's Child, who received an award for being the best-selling female group of all time. Patti LaBelle dedicated her performance of "I'll Stand By You" to the victims of Hurricane Katrina as did Stevie Wonder and Kidd Rock when they closed the show at 2am with a duet of "Living for the City". Other performers included: 50 Cent, Amerie, Biagio Antonacci, Carlos Santana, Ciara, Delta Goodrem, Destiny's Child, Elissa. Eminem, Fantasia Barrino, Jay-Z, Kelly Clarkson, Mariah Carey, Michelle Branch, Philip Kirkorov, Ricky Martin, Rob Thomas, Shakira and Snoop Dogg. The show was broadcast in the United States by the American Broadcasting Company (ABC) on September 13, 2005.
World Diamond Award
The Diamond Award honors those recording-artists who have sold over 100 million albums during their career.
- World's Best-Selling Female Group of All Time: Destiny's Child
- World's Best-Selling Touring Band of All Time: The Rolling Stones
Entertainers of the Year
- World's Best-Selling New Female Artist: Gwen Stefani
- World's Best-Selling New Group: The Killers
- World's Best Selling New Pop Solo Artist: Jordan Cahill
- World's Best-Selling New Male Artist: The Game
- World's Best-Selling Female Pop Artist: Mariah Carey
- World's Best-Selling Male Pop Artist: 50 Cent
- World's Best-Selling Pop Group: Destiny's Child
- World's Best-Selling Pop Rock Artist: Eminem
- World's Best-Selling Rap Hip-Hop Artist: Eminem
- World's Best-Selling Rock Group: U2
- Best-Selling American Artist: Mariah Carey
- Best-Selling Australian Artist: Delta Goodrem
- Best-Selling Canadian Artist: Michael Bublé
- Best-Selling Dutch Artist: Within Temptation
- Best-Selling English Artist: Coldplay
- Best-Selling French Artist: Raphael
- Best-Selling German Artist: Rammstein
- Best-Selling Greek Artist: Sakis Rouvas
- Best-Selling Italian Artist: Biagio Antonacci
- Best-Selling Middle Eastern Artist: Elissa
- Best-Selling Russian Artist: Philip Kirkorov
- Best-Selling Spanish Artist: Alejandro
- Best-Selling Swiss Artist: DJ Bobo
- Best-Selling Korean Artist:BoA
- Mariah Carey won four awards: (1) *Best-Selling R&B Artist, (2) *Best-Selling Pop Female Artist, (3) Female Entertainer of the Year and (4) American Artist
- Destiny's Child won three awards: (1) *Best-Selling Pop Group, (2) *Best-Selling R&B Group and (3) *Best-Selling Female Group of All Time.
- Keller, Julie (2005-09-01). "Destiny's World Domination". E! Online. Yahoo Music News. Archived from the original on 18 March 2008. Retrieved 2008-02-13.
- "World Music Awards bring few surprises". Reuters. The Sydney Morning Herald. 2005-09-02. Retrieved 2008-02-13.
- Baracaia, Alexa (2005-09-01). "The night that Destiny ruled the world... World Music Awards.". The Evening Standard. p. 19.