2003 Puerto Armuelles earthquake
|Date||December 25, 2003|
|Epicenter||8°24′58″N 82°49′26″W / 8.416°N 82.824°WCoordinates: 8°24′58″N 82°49′26″W / 8.416°N 82.824°W|
|Max. intensity||VIII (Severe)|
2 dead |
The 2003 Puerto Armuelles earthquake occurred on December 25 at 02:11 local time (07:11 UTC). The epicenter was located in Panama, at about 7 km east of Puerto Armuelles, near the Panama-Costa Rica border. The earthquake had a magnitude of Mw 6.5. Two people were reported dead in Puerto Armuelles. There was building damage in Panama and Costa Rica. Power outage lasted for about four hours in Puerto Armuelles. The maximal intensity was MM VIII in Finca Naranjo, Costa Rica. The intensity was MM VII in Armuelles, Panama, and MM IV in Limón and the Central Valley, Costa Rica, including San José. This earthquake could also be felt in Panama City.
- USGS (September 4, 2009), PAGER-CAT Earthquake Catalog, Version 2008_06.1, United States Geological Survey
- "Terremoto del 25 de Diciembre del 2003" (in Spanish). Instituto de Geociencias - Universidad de Panamá.
- "Van a reparar Policentro de Puerto Armuelles" (in Spanish). Crítica. 15 Feb 2006. Retrieved 22 April 2013.
- Linkimer, Lepolt; Schmidt, Víctor (April 2004). "Sismos en la península de burica entre diciembre del 2003 y febrero del 2004" (PDF) (in Spanish). Laboratorio de ingeniería sísmica, Instituto de investigaciones en ingeniería, Universidad de Costa Rica. Retrieved 22 April 2013.
- Rojas, Wilfredo; Barquero, Rafael (December 2003). "Terremoto Puerto Armuellas" (PDF) (in Spanish). Archived from the original (PDF) on 3 Oct 2011.
- Person, Waverly J.; Benfield, Pamela J. "Significant Earthquakes of the World, 2003". U.S. Geological Survey. Retrieved 22 April 2013.