1st Coastal Division
|1st Coastal Division|
الفرقة الأولى الساحلية |
Participant in the Syrian civil war
Official logo of the 1st Coastal Division
1st Coastal Division flag
|Area of operations||
Free Syrian Army|
Turkistan Islamic Party
Syrian Armed Forces|
National Defense Force
|Battles and wars|
The 1st Coastal Division (formerly known as the Brigade of the Chargers) is a Syrian rebel group that is affiliated with the Free Syrian Army and has been vetted by the Friends of Syria Group. It received TOW missiles and operates in the Idlib and northern Latakia governorates. The group received training and funding from Qatar. It is a former member of the Ahfad al-Rasul Brigade.
In October 2015 the 1st Coastal Division's chief of staff, Captain Basil Zamo, was killed in a Russian airstrike on Jabal al-Akrad, Latakia.
In April 2016, the group together with Ahrar al-Sham, Al-Nusra Front, and the Turkistan Islamic Party attacked Syrian government positions in northeastern Latakia Governorate, capturing the villages of Nakshaba, Al-Bayyada and 50% of Jabal Qamou'.
- "The Moderate Rebels: A Complete and Growing List of Vetted Groups". Democratic Revolution, Syrian Style. 21 October 2014. Retrieved 30 November 2014.
- "Third Russian air strike on Syrian rebel group kills leader". Reuters. 20 October 2015.
- "Ivan Sidorenko". Twitter. Retrieved 25 May 2016.
- "معركة رد المظالم". Retrieved 25 May 2016.
- Zen Adra (18 April 2016). "Field report: Islamist rebels attack Syrian Army in Hama. Map Update". Al-Masdar News. Retrieved 25 May 2016.
- "The Moderate Rebels: A Complete and Growing List of Vetted Groups Fielding TOW-Missiles". 22 November 2014. Retrieved 5 January 2015.
- "Syrian Rebellion Obs". Twitter. Retrieved 25 May 2016.
- "In Syria, the Stakes Are High for a Rebel Offensive". Stratfor. 24 April 2015. Retrieved 25 April 2015.
- Fahd, Majd (2016-04-10). "Syrian Army retreats from hilltop in Latakia as Islamist rebels push back - Map update". Al-Masdar News. Retrieved 2016-06-08.