1984 Toronto Blue Jays season
|1984 Toronto Blue Jays|
|Major League affiliations|
Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce
|General manager(s)||Pat Gillick|
(Don Chevrier, Tony Kubek, Fergie Olver)
(Jerry Howarth, Tom Cheek)
|< Previous season Next season >|
The 1984 Toronto Blue Jays season was the franchise's eighth season of Major League Baseball. It resulted in the Blue Jays finishing second in the American League East with a record of 89 wins and 73 losses.
- November 14, 1983: Sil Campusano was signed by the Blue Jays as an amateur free agent.
- December 5, 1983: Kelly Gruber was drafted by the Blue Jays from the Cleveland Indians in the 1983 rule 5 draft.
- January 10, 1984: Dennis Lamp was signed as a free agent by the Blue Jays.
- August 19, 1984: In a game against the Oakland Athletics, Cliff Johnson hit the 19th pinch home run of his career, breaking Jerry Lynch's record of 18.
- Jimmy Key set a Jays rookie record by appearing in 63 games.
- Lloyd Moseby and Dave Collins each led the American League with 15 triples.
- Rance Mulliniks sets a team record by getting 8 consecutive hits.
- Dave Stieb finished second in the American League in strikeouts and ERA.
Opening Day starters
- Jim Clancy
- Jesse Barfield
- George Bell
- Dámaso García
- Alfredo Griffin
- Cliff Johnson
- Lloyd Moseby
- Rance Mulliniks
- Willie Upshaw
- Ernie Whitt
|Toronto Blue Jays||89||73||0.549||15||49–32||40–41|
|New York Yankees||87||75||0.537||17||51–30||36–45|
|Boston Red Sox||86||76||0.531||18||41–40||45–36|
Record vs. opponents
1984 American League Records
- April 3, 1984: Rick Leach was signed as a free agent by the Blue Jays.
- May 8, 1984: Geno Petralli was purchased from the Blue Jays by the Cleveland Indians.
- June 4, 1984: Dane Johnson was drafted by the Blue Jays in the 2nd round of the 1984 Major League Baseball draft. Player signed June 21, 1984.
|1984 Toronto Blue Jays|
|1984 Game Log|
Starters by position
Note: Pos = position; G = Games played; AB = At bats; R = Runs scored; H = Hits; 2B = Doubles; 3B = Triples; Avg. = Batting average; HR = Home runs; RBI = Runs batted in; SB = Stolen bases
|C||Whitt, ErnieErnie Whitt||124||315||35||75||12||1||.238||15||46||0|
|1B||Upshaw, WillieWillie Upshaw||152||569||79||158||31||9||.278||19||84||10|
|2B||García, DámasoDámaso García||152||633||79||180||32||5||.284||5||46||46|
|3B||Mulliniks, RanceRance Mulliniks||125||343||41||111||21||5||.324||3||42||2|
|SS||Griffin, AlfredoAlfredo Griffin||140||419||53||101||8||2||.241||4||30||11|
|LF||Collins, DaveDave Collins||128||441||59||136||24||15||.308||2||44||60|
|CF||Moseby, LloydLloyd Moseby||158||592||97||166||28||15||.280||18||92||39|
|RF||Bell, GeorgeGeorge Bell||159||606||85||177||39||4||.292||26||87||11|
|DH||Johnson, CliffCliff Johnson||127||359||51||109||23||1||.304||16||61||0|
Note: G = Games played; AB = At bats; R = Runs scored; H = Hits; 2B = Doubles; 3B = Triples; Avg. = Batting average; HR = Home runs; RBI = Runs batted in; SB = Stolen bases
|Barfield, JesseJesse Barfield||110||320||51||91||14||1||.284||14||49||8|
|Iorg, GarthGarth Iorg||121||247||24||56||10||3||.227||1||25||1|
|Aikens, WillieWillie Aikens||93||234||21||48||7||0||.205||11||26||0|
|Fernández, TonyTony Fernández||88||233||29||63||5||3||.270||3||19||5|
|Martinez, BuckBuck Martinez||102||232||24||51||13||1||.220||5||37||0|
|Leach, RickRick Leach||65||88||11||23||6||2||.261||0||7||0|
|Webster, MitchMitch Webster||26||22||9||5||2||1||.227||0||4||0|
|Gruber, KellyKelly Gruber||15||16||1||1||0||0||.063||1||2||0|
|Manrique, FredFred Manrique||10||9||0||3||0||0||.333||0||1||0|
|Shepherd, RonRon Shepherd||12||4||0||0||0||0||.000||0||0||0|
|Petralli, GenoGeno Petralli||3||3||0||0||0||0||.000||0||0||0|
|Hernández, TobyToby Hernández||3||2||1||1||0||0||.500||0||0||0|
Note: G = Games pitched; GS = Games started; IP = Innings pitched; W = Wins; L = Losses; ERA = Earned run average; R = Runs allowed; ER = Earned runs allowed; BB = Walks allowed; K = Strikeouts
|Alexander, DoyleDoyle Alexander||36||35||261.2||17||6||3.13||99||91||59||139|
|Stieb, DaveDave Stieb||35||35||267||16||8||2.83||87||84||88||198|
|Leal, LuisLuis Leal||35||35||222.1||13||8||3.89||106||96||77||134|
|Clancy, JimJim Clancy||36||36||219.2||13||15||5.12||132||125||88||118|
Note: G = Games pitched; GS = Games started; IP = Innings pitched; W = Wins; L = Losses; SV = Saves; ERA = Earned run average; R = Runs allowed; ER = Earned runs allowed; BB = Walks allowed; K = Strikeouts
|Gott, JimJim Gott||35||12||109.2||7||6||2||4.02||54||49||49||73|
|Clark, BryanBryan Clark||20||3||45.2||1||2||0||5.91||33||30||22||21|
Note: G = Games pitched; IP = Innings pitched; W = Wins; L = Losses; SV = Saves; ERA = Earned run average; R = Runs allowed; ER = Earned runs allowed; BB = Walks allowed; K = Strikeouts
|Key, JimmyJimmy Key||63||62||4||5||10||4.65||37||32||32||44|
|Lamp, DennisDennis Lamp||56||85||8||8||9||4.55||53||43||38||45|
|Jackson, Roy LeeRoy Lee Jackson||54||86||7||8||10||3.56||40||34||31||58|
|Acker, JimJim Acker||32||72||3||5||1||4.38||39||35||25||33|
|Musselman, RonRon Musselman||11||21.1||0||2||1||2.11||7||5||10||9|
|McLaughlin, JoeyJoey McLaughlin||6||10.2||0||0||0||2.53||6||3||7||3|
|Leach, RickRick Leach||1||1||0||0||0||27.00||3||3||2||0|
- Doyle Alexander, Pitcher of the Month Award, September
- Dave Collins, American League Leader, Triples, 15
- Lloyd Moseby, American League Leader, Triples, 15
- Sil Campusano at Baseball Reference
- Kelly Gruber at Baseball Reference
- Dennis Lamp at Baseball Reference
- Great Baseball Feats, Facts and Figures, 2008 Edition, p.232, David Nemec and Scott Flatow, A Signet Book, Penguin Group, New York, ISBN 978-0-451-22363-0
- Rick Leach at Baseball Reference
- Geno Petralli at Baseball Reference
- Dane Johnson at Baseball Reference
- Blue Jays All-Stars | bluejays.com: History
- Johnson, Lloyd, and Wolff, Miles, ed., The Encyclopedia of Minor League Baseball, 2nd and 3rd editions. Durham, North Carolina: Baseball America, 1997 and 2007
1983 Toronto Blue Jays season
|1984 Toronto Blue Jays Season
| Succeeded by|
1985 Toronto Blue Jays season