1981 Houston Astros season
|1981 Houston Astros|
|Major League affiliations|
|General manager(s)||Al Rosen|
(Gene Elston, Dewayne Staats, Larry Dierker)
|< Previous season Next season >|
- December 4, 1980: Don Sutton was signed as a free agent by the Astros.
- December 8, 1980: Chris Bourjos was traded by the San Francisco Giants with Bob Knepper to the Houston Astros for Enos Cabell.
- March 27, 1981: Julio González was released by the Astros.
|Los Angeles Dodgers||63||47||0.573||4||33–23||30–24|
|San Francisco Giants||56||55||0.505||11½||29–24||27–31|
|San Diego Padres||41||69||0.373||26||20–35||21–34|
Record vs. opponents
1981 National League Records
- April 1, 1981: Chris Bourjos was traded by the Houston Astros with cash to the Baltimore Orioles for Kiko Garcia.
- April 3, 1981: Gary Rajsich was traded by the Astros to the New York Mets for John Csefalvay (minors).
- April 17, 1981: David Clyde was signed as a free agent by the Astros.
- June 7, 1981: Joaquín Andújar was traded by the Astros to the St. Louis Cardinals for Tony Scott.
- June 8, 1981: Eric Bullock was drafted by the Houston Astros in the 1st round (20th pick) of the 1981 amateur draft (Secondary Phase).
Nolan Ryan's 5th No-Hitter
On September 26, 1981, Nolan Ryan no-hit the Los Angeles Dodgers, 5-0, on national television. The 34-year-old right-hander became the first pitcher to throw five career no-hitters. It had been six years since Ryan's last no-hitter; he pitched for the California Angels for the last of four no-hitters.
|1981 Houston Astros|
Starters by position
Note: Pos = Position; G = Games played; AB = At bats; H = Hits; Avg. = Batting average; HR = Home runs; RBI = Runs batted in
1981 National League Division Series
Los Angeles Dodgers vs. Houston Astros
Los Angeles wins series, 3-2.
|1||Houston 3, Los Angeles 1||October 6|
|2||Houston 1, Los Angeles 0 (11 innings)||October 7|
|3||Los Angeles 6, Houston 1||October 9|
|4||Los Angeles 2, Houston 1||October 10|
|5||Los Angeles 4, Houston 0||October 11|
LEAGUE CHAMPIONS: Daytona Beach
- Don Sutton at Baseball Reference
- Julio González at Baseball Reference
- Gary Rajsich at Baseball Reference
- David Clyde at Baseball Reference
- Joaquín Andújar at Baseball Reference
- "Big Days in Astros History – September 26, 1981 – Nolan Ryan pitches his fifth no-hitter". AstrosDaily.com. Retrieved November 15, 2014.