1979 Toronto Blue Jays season
|1979 Toronto Blue Jays|
|Major League affiliations|
Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce
|General manager(s)||Pat Gillick|
(Don Chevrier, Tony Kubek, Tom McKee)
(Jean-Pierre Roy, Guy Ferron)
(Early Wynn, Tom Cheek)
|< Previous season Next season >|
The 1979 Toronto Blue Jays season was the franchise's third season of Major League Baseball. It resulted in the Blue Jays finishing seventh in the American League East with a record of 53 wins and 109 losses. The Blue Jays were the only American League East team to finish 1979 with a losing record and the loss total of 109 set the franchise mark. Attendance for the season decreased to 1,431,651.
- January 11, 1979: Rico Carty was signed as a free agent by the Blue Jays.
- March 17, 1979: Steve Luebber was signed as a free agent by the Blue Jays.
- March 25, 1979: Bobby Brown was selected off waivers by the Blue Jays from the New York Mets.
Following the team's poor performance, manager Roy Hartsfield was fired at the end of the season. One highlight of the season was the awarding of the American League Rookie of the Year Award to Alfredo Griffin.
The end of the 1979 season marked a crossroads for the franchise. The first real talent from the minor leagues had made it to the major league roster. Such talent included pitcher Dave Stieb and third baseman Danny Ainge.
|Boston Red Sox||91||69||0.569||11½||51–29||40–40|
|New York Yankees||89||71||0.556||13½||51–30||38–41|
|Toronto Blue Jays||53||109||0.327||50½||32–49||21–60|
Record vs. opponents
1979 American League Records
Opening Day starters
- Bob Bailor
- Rick Bosetti
- Rico Carty
- Rick Cerone
- Jim Clancy
- Alfredo Griffin
- Roy Howell
- John Mayberry
- Dave McKay
- Alvis Woods
- April 19, 1979: Bobby Brown was purchased from the Blue Jays by the New York Yankees.
- April 24, 1979: Tony Fernández was signed as an amateur free agent by the Blue Jays.
- July 25, 1979: Craig Kusick was purchased by the Blue Jays from the Minnesota Twins.
- June 5, 1979: 1979 Major League Baseball draft
- Future NFL quarterback Jay Schroeder was drafted by the Toronto Blue Jays in the 1st round, but did not sign.
- Ron Shepherd was drafted by the Blue Jays in the 2nd round.
- Ron Romanick was drafted by the Blue Jays in the 3rd round, but did not sign.
- Andre Robertson was drafted by the Blue Jays in the 4th round.
|1979 Toronto Blue Jays|
|1979 Game Log 53–109 (Home 32–49, Away 21–60)|
April 7–15 (Home 3–8, Away 4–7)
May 5–23 (Home 3–15, Away 2–8)
June 12–18 (Home 6–5, Away 6–13)
July 8–18 (Home 5–6, Away 3–12)
August 11–17 (Home 6–8, Away 5–9)
September 10–18 (Home 9–7, Away 1–11)
Starters by position
Note: Pos = Position; G = Games played; AB = At bats; R = Runs scored; H = Hits; 2B = Doubles; 3B = Triples; Avg. = Batting average; HR = Home runs; RBI = Runs batted in; SB = Stolen bases
|C||Cerone, RickRick Cerone||136||469||47||112||27||4||.239||7||61||1|
|1B||Mayberry, JohnJohn Mayberry||137||464||61||127||22||1||.274||21||74||1|
|2B||Ainge, DannyDanny Ainge||87||308||26||73||7||1||.237||2||19||1|
|3B||Howell, RoyRoy Howell||138||511||60||126||28||4||.247||15||72||1|
|SS||Griffin, AlfredoAlfredo Griffin||153||624||81||179||22||10||.287||2||31||21|
|LF||Woods, AlvisAlvis Woods||132||436||57||121||24||4||.278||5||36||6|
|CF||Bosetti, RickRick Bosetti||162||619||59||161||35||2||.260||8||65||13|
|RF||Bailor, BobBob Bailor||130||414||50||95||11||5||.229||1||38||14|
|DH||Carty, RicoRico Carty||132||461||48||118||26||0||.256||12||55||3|
Note: G = Games played; AB = At bats; R = Runs scored; H = Hits; 2B = Doubles; 3B = Triples; Avg. = Batting average; HR = Home runs; RBI = Runs batted in; SB = Stolen bases
|Vélez, OttoOtto Vélez||99||274||45||79||21||0||.288||15||48||0|
|Gómez, LuisLuis Gómez||59||163||11||39||7||0||.239||0||11||1|
|McKay, DaveDave McKay||47||156||19||34||9||0||.218||0||12||1|
|Cannon, JoeJoe Cannon||61||142||14||30||1||1||.211||1||5||12|
|Solaita, TonyTony Solaita||36||102||14||27||8||1||.265||2||13||0|
|Davis, BobBob Davis||32||89||6||11||2||0||.124||1||8||0|
|Johnson, TimTim Johnson||43||86||6||16||2||1||.186||0||6||0|
|Kusick, CraigCraig Kusick||23||54||3||11||1||0||.204||2||7||0|
|Robertson, BobBob Robertson||15||29||1||3||0||0||.103||1||1||0|
|Wilborn, TedTed Wilborn||22||12||3||0||0||0||.000||0||0||0|
|Brown, BobbyBobby Brown||4||10||1||0||0||0||.000||0||0||0|
|Hernández, PedroPedro Hernández||3||0||1||0||0||0||----||0||0||0|
Note: G = Games pitched; GS = Games started; IP = Innings pitched; W = Wins; L = Losses; ERA = Earned run average; R = Runs allowed; ER = Earned runs allowed; BB = Walks allowed; K = Strikeouts
|Underwood, TomTom Underwood||33||32||227||9||16||3.69||113||93||95||127|
|Huffman, PhilPhil Huffman||31||31||173||6||18||5.77||130||111||68||56|
|Lemanczyk, DaveDave Lemanczyk||22||20||143||8||10||3.71||65||59||45||63|
|Stieb, DaveDave Stieb||18||18||129.1||8||8||4.31||70||62||48||52|
|Clancy, JimJim Clancy||12||11||63.2||2||7||5.51||44||39||31||33|
|Edge, ButchButch Edge||9||9||51.2||3||4||5.23||32||30||24||19|
Note: G = Games pitched; GS = Games started; IP = Innings pitched; W = Wins; L = Losses; SV = Saves; ERA = Earned run average; R = Runs allowed; ER = Earned runs allowed; BB = Walks allowed; K = Strikeouts
|Moore, BalorBalor Moore||34||16||139.1||5||7||0||4.84||85||75||79||51|
|Jefferson, JesseJesse Jefferson||34||10||116||2||10||1||5.51||75||71||45||43|
|Lemongello, MarkMark Lemongello||18||10||83||1||9||0||6.29||64||58||34||40|
Note: G = Games pitched; IP = Innings pitched; W = Wins; L = Losses; SV = Saves; ERA = Earned run average; R = Runs allowed; ER = Earned runs allowed; BB = Walks allowed; K = Strikeouts
|Buskey, TomTom Buskey||44||78.2||6||10||7||3.43||33||30||25||44|
|Freisleben, DaveDave Freisleben||42||91||2||3||3||4.95||57||50||53||35|
|Willis, MikeMike Willis||17||26.2||0||3||0||8.44||27||25||16||8|
|Todd, JacksonJackson Todd||12||32.1||0||1||0||5.85||26||21||7||14|
|Murphy, TomTom Murphy||10||18.1||1||2||0||5.40||11||11||8||6|
|Miller, DyarDyar Miller||10||15.1||0||0||0||10.57||18||18||5||7|
|Garvin, JerryJerry Garvin||8||22.2||0||1||0||2.78||9||7||10||14|
|Grilli, SteveSteve Grilli||1||2.1||0||0||0||0.00||0||0||0||1|
|Kusick, CraigCraig Kusick||1||3.2||0||0||0||4.91||2||2||0||0|
|Luebber, SteveSteve Luebber||1||0||0||0||0||∞||1||1||1||0|
Awards and honors
- Alfredo Griffin, Major League Baseball Rookie of the Year Award
- Alfredo Griffin, Player of the Month Award, September
- Dave Lemanczyk, reserve
- Diamond Dreams: 20 Years of Blue Jays Baseball, Stephen Brunt, p. 125, Penguin Books, ISBN 0-14-023978-2
- Rico Carty at Baseball Reference
- Steve Luebber at Baseball Reference
- Bobby Brown at Baseball Reference
- Diamond Dreams, p. 136
- Tony Fernández at Baseball Reference
- Craig Kusick at Baseball Reference
- Ron Shepherd at Baseball Reference
- Ron Romanick at Baseball-Reference
- Andre Robertson at Baseball-Reference
- Blue Jays All-Stars | bluejays.com: History
- Johnson, Lloyd, and Wolff, Miles, ed., The Encyclopedia of Minor League Baseball, 2nd and 3rd editions. Durham, North Carolina: Baseball America, 1997 and 2007
- Johnson, Lloyd; Wolff, Miles, eds. (1997). The Encyclopedia of Minor League Baseball (2nd ed.). Durham, North Carolina: Baseball America. ISBN 978-0-9637189-8-3.