1978 Boston Red Sox season
|1978 Boston Red Sox|
|Major League affiliations|
|Owner(s)||Buddy LeRoux, Haywood Sullivan, Jean Yawkey|
|General manager(s)||Haywood Sullivan|
WSBK-TV, Ch. 38|
(Dick Stockton, Ken Harrelson)
(Ned Martin, Jim Woods)
|< Previous season Next season >|
The 1978 Boston Red Sox season was a season in American baseball. It involved the Red Sox finishing second in the American League East with a record of 99 wins and 64 losses, after at one point having a 10-game lead.
- November 23, 1977: Mike Torrez was signed as a free agent by the Boston Red Sox.
- December 8, 1977: Don Aase and cash were traded by the Red Sox to the California Angels for Jerry Remy.
- December 27, 1977: Dick Drago was signed as a free agent by the Red Sox.
- March 28, 1978: Denny Doyle was released by the Red Sox.
- March 30, 1978: Rick Wise, Mike Paxton, Ted Cox, and Bo Díaz were traded by the Red Sox to the Cleveland Indians for Dennis Eckersley and Fred Kendall.
|New York Yankees||100||63||0.613||—||55–26||45–37|
|Boston Red Sox||99||64||0.607||1||59–23||40–41|
|Toronto Blue Jays||59||102||0.366||40||37–44||22–58|
Record vs. opponents
1978 American League Records
- May 20, 1978: Bob Ojeda was signed as an amateur free agent by the Red Sox.
Opening Day lineup
The "Boston Massacre"
Boston at one point in July held a 14-game lead over rival New York. However, after working their way back capped by a 4-game sweep at Fenway, the Yanks tied the division. Then, in a one-game playoff, the Yanks won 5-4 with the help of a home run by Bucky Dent. The Yanks went on to win the World Series in 6 games over the Los Angeles Dodgers. Although Dent became a Red Sox demon, the Red Sox would get retribution in 1990 when the Yankees fired Dent as their manager during a series at Fenway Park.
|1978 Boston Red Sox|
Starters by position
Note: Pos = Position; G = Games played; AB = At bats; R = Runs scored; H = Hits; Avg. = Batting average; HR = Home runs; RBI = Runs batted in; SB = Stolen bases
|= Indicates team leader|
|C||Fisk, CarltonCarlton Fisk||157||571||94||162||.284||20||88||7|
|1B||Scott, GeorgeGeorge Scott||120||412||51||96||.233||12||54||1|
|2B||Remy, JerryJerry Remy||148||583||87||162||.278||2||44||30|
|3B||Hobson, ButchButch Hobson||147||512||65||128||.250||17||80||1|
|SS||Burleson, RickRick Burleson||145||626||75||155||.248||5||49||8|
|LF||Rice, JimJim Rice||163||677||121||213||.315||46||139||7|
|CF||Lynn, FredFred Lynn||150||541||75||161||.298||22||82||3|
|RF||Evans, DwightDwight Evans||147||497||75||123||.247||24||63||8|
|DH||Bailey, BobBob Bailey||43||94||12||18||.191||4||9||2|
Note: G = Games played; AB = At bats; R = Runs scored; H = Hits; Avg. = Batting average; HR = Home runs; RBI = Runs batted in; SB = Stolen bases
|Yastrzemski, CarlCarl Yastrzemski||144||523||70||145||.277||17||81||4|
|Brohamer, JackJack Brohamer||81||244||34||57||.234||1||25||1|
|Duffy, FrankFrank Duffy||64||104||12||27||.260||0||4||1|
|Hancock, GarryGarry Hancock||38||80||10||18||.225||0||4||0|
|Carbo, BernieBernie Carbo||17||46||7||12||.261||1||6||1|
|Kendall, FredFred Kendall||20||41||3||8||.195||0||4||0|
|Montgomery, BobBob Montgomery||10||29||2||7||.241||0||5||0|
|Bowen, SamSam Bowen||6||7||3||1||.143||1||1||0|
Note: G = Games pitched; CG = Complete games; IP = Innings pitched; W = Wins; L = Losses; ERA = Earned run average; BB = Walks allowed; SO = Strikeouts
|Eckersley, DennisDennis Eckersley||35||16||268.1||20||8||2.99||71||162|
|Torrez, MikeMike Torrez||36||15||250||16||13||3.96||99||120|
|Tiant, LuisLuis Tiant||32||12||212.1||13||8||3.31||57||114|
|Lee, BillBill Lee||28||8||177||10||10||3.46||59||44|
|Ripley, AllenAllen Ripley||15||1||73||2||5||5.55||22||26|
|Sprowl, BobbyBobby Sprowl||3||0||12.2||0||2||6.39||10||10|
Note: G = Games pitched; IP = Innings pitched; W = Wins; L = Losses; ERA = Earned run average; BB = Walks allowed; SO = Strikeouts
|Wright, JimJim Wright||24||116||8||4||3.57||24||56|
|Hassler, AndyAndy Hassler||13||30||2||1||3.00||13||23|
Note: G = Games pitched; W = Wins; L = Losses; SV = Saves; ERA = Earned run average; SO = Strikeouts
|Stanley, BobBob Stanley||52||15||2||10||2.60||38|
|Drago, DickDick Drago||37||4||4||7||3.03||42|
|Burgmeier, TomTom Burgmeier||35||2||1||4||4.40||24|
|Campbell, BillBill Campbell||29||7||5||4||3.91||47|
|LaRose, JohnJohn LaRose||1||0||0||0||22.50||3|
|Cleveland, ReggieReggie Cleveland||1||0||1||0||0.00||0|
AL East tie-breaker game
|New York Yankees||0||0||0||0||0||0||4||1||0||5||8||0|
|Boston Red Sox||0||1||0||0||1||0||0||2||0||4||11||0|
| WP: Ron Guidry (25-3) LP: Mike Torrez (16-13) Sv: Goose Gossage (27)|
NYY: Bucky Dent, Reggie Jackson
BOS: Carl Yastrzemski
Awards and honors
- Jim Rice, OF, American League Most Valuable Player
- Jim Rice, American League leader, Hits (213)
- Jim Rice, American League leader, Home runs (46)
- Jim Rice, American League leader, RBIs (139)
- Carlton Fisk, Catcher, starter
- Fred Lynn, Center field, starter
- Jim Rice, Left field, starter
- Rick Burleson, reserve
- Dwight Evans, reserve
- Jerry Remy, reserve
- Carl Yastrzemski, reserve
LEAGUE CHAMPIONS: Bristol
- Mike Torrez page at Baseball Reference
- Don Aase page at Baseball Reference
- Dick Drago page at Baseball Reference
- Denny Doyle page at Baseball Reference
- Dennis Eckersley page at Baseball Reference
- Bob Ojeda page at Baseball Reference
- Cafardo, Nick (June 7, 1990). "Dent Dumped by Yankees". The Boston Globe. p. 37.
- Shaughnessy, Dan (June 7, 1990). "His Back Was Against the Wall". The Boston Globe. p. 37.
- 1978 Boston Red Sox Batting, Pitching, & Fielding Statistics - Baseball-Reference.com
- Johnson, Lloyd; Wolff, Miles, eds. (1997). The Encyclopedia of Minor League Baseball (2nd ed.). Durham, North Carolina: Baseball America. ISBN 978-0-9637189-8-3.
- 1978 Boston Red Sox team page at Baseball Reference
- 1978 Boston Red Sox season at baseball-almanac.com