1972 St. Louis Cardinals (NFL) season
|1972 St. Louis Cardinals season|
|Head coach||Bob Hollway|
|Home field||Busch Memorial Stadium|
|Division place||4th NFC East|
|Playoff finish||did not qualify|
The 1972 St. Louis Cardinals season was the team's 53rd year with the National Football League and thirteenth in St. Louis. On September 2, Bill Bidwill purchased the stock of his brother Charles "Stormy" Bidwill to become sole owner of the Cardinals. The adopted sons of Charles and Violet Bidwill, the two had co-owned the team since their mother's death in January 1962.
After starting at 2–2, with wins over 1970 and 1971 playoff participants Baltimore and Minnesota, the Cardinals went 0–7–1, then won their final two games over the Rams and Eagles to finish at 4–9–1 for the second consecutive season and third time in the past four. Second-year head coach Bob Hollway was fired December 18, the day after the regular season finale, succeeded a month later by San Diego State head coach Don Coryell.
|1||4||Bobby Moore (Ahmad Rashad)||Wide Receiver||Oregon|
|1||September 17||at Baltimore Colts||W 10–3||1–0|| |
|2||September 24||at Washington Redskins||L 24–10||1–1|| |
|3||October 1||Pittsburgh Steelers||L 25–19||1–2|| |
|4||October 8||at Minnesota Vikings||W 19–17||2–2|| |
|5||October 15||Washington Redskins||L 33–3||2–3|| |
|6||October 22||at New York Giants||L 27–21||2–4|| |
|7||October 29||Chicago Bears||L 27–10||2–5|| |
|8||November 5||at Philadelphia Eagles||T 6–6||2–5–1|| |
|9||November 12||at Dallas Cowboys||L 33–24||2–6–1|| |
|10||November 19||New York Giants||L 13–7||2–7–1|| |
|11||November 27||at Miami Dolphins||L 31–10||2–8–1|| |
|12||December 3||Dallas Cowboys||L 27–6||2–9–1|| |
|13||December 10||Los Angeles Rams||W 24–14||3–9–1|| |
|14||December 17||Philadelphia Eagles||W 24–23||4–9–1|| |
|New York Giants||8||6||0||.571||5–3||7–4||331||247||W1|
|St. Louis Cardinals||4||9||1||.321||1–6–1||3–7–1||193||303||W2|
|1972 St. Louis Cardinals roster|
| Reserve Lists
Rookies in italics
- "Bill Bidwill sole owner of Cards". Southeast Missorian. Cape Girardeau. Associated Press. September 12, 1972. p. 8.
- NFL 2001 Record and Fact Book, Workman Publishing Co, New York,NY, ISBN 0-7611-2480-2, p.283
- Howard, Robert (February 2, 1963). "Court rules for Bidwills". Chicago Daily Tribune. p. 1, part 4.
- "High court rules in favor of sons". Milwaukee Journal. Associated Press. February 2, 1963. p. 2, part 2.
- "Mrs. Wolfner, Cardinals' owner, dies". Chicago Daily Tribune. Associated Press. January 30, 1962. p. 1, part 3.
- "Cardinals fire football coach". Southeast Missourian. Cape Girardeau. Associated Press. December 19, 1972. p. 1.
- "Coryell is named coach of inoffensive Cardinals". Milwaukee Journal. press dispatches. January 19, 1973. p. 15, part 2.