1943 World Series
|Radio announcers:||Red Barber and Bob Elson|
|Umpires:||Eddie Rommel (AL), Beans Reardon (NL), Joe Rue (AL), Bill Stewart (NL)|
|Hall of Famers:|| Yankees: Joe McCarthy (mgr.), Bill Dickey, Joe DiMaggio (mil.), Joe Gordon, Phil Rizzuto (mil.), Red Ruffing (mil.)|
Cardinals: Billy Southworth (mgr.), Enos Slaughter (mil.), Stan Musial
The 1943 World Series matched the defending champion St. Louis Cardinals against the New York Yankees, in a rematch of the 1942 Series. The Yankees won the Series in five games for their tenth championship in 21 seasons. It was Yankees manager Joe McCarthy's final Series win. This series was also the first to have an accompanying World Series highlight film (initially, the films were created as gifts to troops fighting in World War II, to give them a brief recap of baseball action back home), a tradition that continues to this day.
This World Series was scheduled for a 3–4 format because of wartime travel restrictions. The 3–4 format meant there was only one trip between ballparks, but if the Series had ended in a four-game sweep, there would have been three games played in one park and only one in the other.
Because of World War II, both teams' rosters were depleted. Johnny Beazley, Jimmy Brown, Creepy Crespi, Terry Moore and Enos Slaughter were no longer on the Cardinals' roster. Joe DiMaggio, Phil Rizzuto, Red Ruffing and Buddy Hassett were missing from the Yankees, and Red Rolfe had retired to coach at Dartmouth College.
|1||October 5||St. Louis Cardinals – 2, New York Yankees – 4||Yankee Stadium||2:07||68,676|
|2||October 6||St. Louis Cardinals – 4, New York Yankees – 3||Yankee Stadium||2:08||68,578|
|3||October 7||St. Louis Cardinals – 2, New York Yankees – 6||Yankee Stadium||2:10||69,990|
|4||October 10||New York Yankees – 2, St. Louis Cardinals – 1||Sportsman's Park||2:06||36,196|
|5||October 11||New York Yankees – 2, St. Louis Cardinals – 0||Sportsman's Park||2:24||33,872|
| WP: Spud Chandler (1–0) LP: Max Lanier (0–1)|
NYY: Joe Gordon (1)
| WP: Mort Cooper (1–0) LP: Tiny Bonham (0–1)|
STL: Marty Marion (1), Ray Sanders (1)
|WP: Hank Borowy (1–0) LP: Al Brazle (0–1) Sv: Johnny Murphy (1)|
|WP: Marius Russo (1–0) LP: Harry Brecheen (0–1)|
| WP: Spud Chandler (2–0) LP: Mort Cooper (1–1)|
NYY: Bill Dickey (1)
|New York Yankees||0||0||0||4||0||5||0||6||2||17||35||5|
|St. Louis Cardinals||0||1||1||5||1||0||1||0||0||9||37||10|
| Total attendance: 277,312 Average attendance: 55,462|
Winning player's share: $6,139 Losing player's share: $4,322
- "1943 World Series Game 1 – St. Louis Cardinals vs. New York Yankees". Retrosheet. Retrieved September 13, 2009.
- "1943 World Series Game 2 – St. Louis Cardinals vs. New York Yankees". Retrosheet. Retrieved September 13, 2009.
- "1943 World Series Game 3 – St. Louis Cardinals vs. New York Yankees". Retrosheet. Retrieved September 13, 2009.
- "1943 World Series Game 4 – New York Yankees vs. St. Louis Cardinals". Retrosheet. Retrieved September 13, 2009.
- "1943 World Series Game 5 – New York Yankees vs. St. Louis Cardinals". Retrosheet. Retrieved September 13, 2009.
- Cohen, Richard M.; Neft, David S. (1990). The World Series: Complete Play-By-Play of Every Game, 1903–1989. New York: St. Martin's Press. pp. 192–195. ISBN 0-312-03960-3.
- Reichler, Joseph (1982). The Baseball Encyclopedia (5th ed.). Macmillan Publishing. p. 2151. ISBN 0-02-579010-2.
- 1943 World Series at WorldSeries.com (MLB.com)
- 1943 World Series at Baseball Almanac
- 1943 World Series at Baseball-Reference.com
- The 1943 Post-Season Games (box scores and play-by-play) at Retrosheet
- History of the World Series - 1943 at The SportingNews. Archived from the original on 2008.