1920 Oregon Agricultural Aggies football team
|1920 Oregon Agricultural Aggies football|
|Conference||Pacific Coast Conference|
|1920 record||2–2–2 (1–2–1 PCC)|
|Head coach||R. B. Rutherford (1st year)|
|Home stadium||Bell Field|
|1920 PCC football standings|
The 1920 Oregon Agricultural Aggies football team represented Oregon Agricultural College (now known as Oregon State University) in the Pacific Coast Conference (PCC) during the 1920 college football season. The team played its home games at Bell Field in Corvallis, Oregon. Henry Rearden was the team captain. Gap Powell was the fullback and the offensive star.
In April 1920, R. B. "Dick" Rutherford was hired as the team's head coach. He had played football at Nebraska and had been the head football coach at Washington University from 1917 to 1919. In their first season under coach Rutherford, the Beavers compiled a 2–2–2 record (1–2–1 against PCC opponents), finished in fifth place in the PCC, and were outscored by their opponents, 52 to 20.
On October 23, 1920, the Aggies defeated Washington, 3–0, for the Aggies' first victory over Washington since 1905. The annual Civil War rivalry game with Oregon, played at Corvallis on November 20, 1920, resulted in a scoreless tie. The Aggies also played two games with the Multnomah Athletic Club of Portland, resulting in a win and a tie, and lost games against national champion California (7–17) and Washington State (0–28).
|October 16||Multnomah A.C.||Bell Field • Corvallis, OR||T 0–0||?|
|October 23||Washington||Denny Field • Seattle||W 3–0||?|
|October 30||California||Bell Field • Corvallis, OR||L 7–17||?|
|November 13||at Washington State||Rogers Field • Pullman, WA||L 0–28||?|
|November 20||vs. Oregon||Bell Field • Corvallis, OR||T 0–0||?|
|November 27||Multonmah A.C.||Portland, OR||W 10–7||?|
- Emil Christensen
- Edward Clark
- Andrew Crowell
- Charles Daigh
- Ted Heyden
- Gap Powell
- Albert "Duke" Hodler
- Clarence Johnston
- Dough Johnston
- Joe Kasberger
- Marlon McCart
- Harold McKenna
- Hugh McKenna
- Henry Rearden
- Millard Scott
- Claire R. Seely
- Robert Stewart
- Stanley Summers
- Harry Swan
- Herman Wood
- "2016 Football Media Guide" (PDF). Oregon State University. p. 186. Retrieved September 8, 2016.
- Per the 2016 Media Guide, Rearden was the 1920 team captain, but the roster listing at pages 208-214 indicate that his last year as a player was 1919.
- 2016 Media Guide, p. 197.
- "Rutherford Will Direct Athletics for Oregon Men". The St. Louis Star. April 7, 1920. p. 20.
- "1920 Oregon State Beavers Schedule and Results". SR/College Football. Sports Reference LLC. Retrieved September 8, 2016.
- "Aggies Display Great Fight Against U. of W.: Aggies Have Strong Team of Players". The Oregon Daily Journal. October 25, 1920. p. 10.
- "Oregon State vs Washington". College Football Data Warehouse. David DeLassus. Retrieved September 9, 2016.
- "Rutherford Signs Long Contract to Coach Oregon Ags". The Oregon Sunday Journal. January 23, 1921. p. 12.
- Roster members based on information from the 2016 Media Guide, pp. 208-214.