1892 in film
The following is an overview of the events of 1892 in film, including a list of films released and notable births.
Projection of film at the Théâtre Optique
- The final revisions to the Kinetoscope are made, including a vertical transport and wider film. This becomes the de facto technical specification for all silent film by 1909.
- Max Skladanowsky develops a camera and shoots his first footage this year, but its unusual interleaved image format leaves him ultimately unable to exhibit it until work is completed on the Bioskop projector in late 1895.
- 18 October - Théâtre Optique event opens, showing projected motion pictures to the public at the Musée Grévin in Paris.
Films released in 1892
- January 18 - Oliver Hardy, American comic actor (died 1957)
- January 31 - Eddie Cantor, American singer and comedian (died 1964)
- March 27 - Dorrit Weixler, German actress (died 1916)
- April 2 - Jack L. Warner, American Hollywood studio founder (died 1978)
- April 8 - Mary Pickford, Canadian-born American actress, studio founder (died 1979)
- April 14 - Claire Windsor, American actress (died 1972)
- June 13 - Basil Rathbone, South African-American actor (died 1967)
- July 1 - Thomas Mitchell, American actor (died 1962)
- July 10 - Slim Summerville, American actor (died 1946)
- July 21 - Renée Jeanne Falconetti, French actress (died 1946)
- July 29 - William Powell, American actor (died 1984)
- September 2 - Dezső Kertész, Hungarian actor and film director (died 1965)
- September 9 - Tsuru Aoki, Japanese-born American actress (died 1961)
- September 21 - Olof Ås, Swedish actor, stage manager (died 1949)
- September 28 - Ruth Stonehouse, American actress, film director (died 1941)
- October 25 - Nell Shipman, American actress, writer, producer (died 1970)
- November 16 - Mabel Normand, American actress (died 1930)
- December 24 - Ruth Chatterton, American actress (died 1961)
- December 29 - Aku Korhonen, Finnish actor (d. 1960)
Media related to 1892 in film at Wikimedia Commons