17th Division (Syria)
|17th Reserve Division|
Divisional tactical color marking
|Active||1970 – present|
The 17th Reserve Division is a formation of the Syrian Army responsible for Northeastern Syria, it is one of two autonomous reserve divisions of the Syrian Arab Army, the other being the 18th Armoured Division.
The Division is an autonomous division Syrian Army's Corps structure, and is composed of 137th Mechanized Brigade, the 93rd Armoured Brigade, 154th Special Forces Regiment, and the 121st Artillery Regiment (Milbia).
Role in the civil war
The 17th Reserve Division was active in Deir ez-Zor province throughout 2012.
In November 2012 the Free Syrian Army claimed that elements of the 17th Division were in Rastan, thereby raising the possibility that elements of the Division withdrew from the east as the Syrian Government lost positions there.
Following the reported capture of Raqqa on 3–6 March 2013, elements of the 17th Division remained under siege to the north of the city in October 2013.
Following the fall of the Mineq airbase, the remaining troops of the defeated 17th Division sought refuge with Kurdish forces. The Kurds, however, turned over the senior officers to al-Nusra in exchange for Kurdish prisoners and the Islamists promptly killed the handed over officers, including Colonel Naji Abu Shaar.
- Joseph Halliday, The Syrian Army: Doctrinal Order of Battle, Institute for the Study of War, February 2013, p.10
- Joseph Halliday, The Syrian Army: Doctrinal Order of Battle, Institute for the Study of War, February 2013, p.12
- Joseph Halliday, The Syrian Army: Doctrinal Order of Battle, Institute for the Study of War, February 2013, p.6
- Joseph Halliday, The Assad Regime: From Counterinsurgency to Civil War, Institute for the Study of War, March 2013, p.33, citing '“Clashes between Syrian troops and army defectors kill at least 13,” Washington Post, October 13, 2011; Syrian Revolution Coordinator’s Union Facebook Page <facebook.com/monasiqoon>, November 13, 2012.
- Joseph Halliday, The Assad Regime: From Counterinsurgency to Civil War, Institute for the Study of War, March 2013, p.33
- Alice Martins, Watching Rebels Fight Among Themselves for the City of Raqqa, VICE news, 23 September 2013.
- Robert Fisk, Syria civil war: State-of-the-art technology gives President Assad’s army the edge The Independent 26 February 2016
- "Syrian Army strikes back against ISIS in southwest Deir Ezzor". Al-Masdar News. 15 October 2016. Retrieved 16 October 2016.