157th Field Artillery Regiment
157th Infantry Regiment
157th Field Artillery Regiment
Coat of arms
|Part of||169th Fires Brigade (United States)|
|Motto(s)||"Eager for duty"|
|March||Hot Time in the Old Town Tonight|
|John H. Church|
|Distinctive unit insignia|
|U.S. Infantry Regiments|
|156th Infantry Regiment||158th Infantry Regiment|
The 157th Field Artillery Regiment has been both an infantry and field artillery regiment of the Army National Guard, part of the United States Army. The regiment was first constituted in 1917 during World War I from the 1st Colorado Infantry Regiment. The regiment was an infantry regiment as part of the 40th Infantry Division.
It was again an infantry regiment of the 45th Infantry Division during and after World War II. In 1950 it was removed from the 45th and after the Korean War assigned to the artillery. During the Cold War of the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s, the 1st and 2nd Battalions of the regiment operated the M110 howitzer. The retirement of the M110 system left many National Guard units without a mission. In 2002, the battalions transitioned to the M270 Multiple Launch Rocket System (MLRS) system, and later in 2009 to the M142 High Mobility Artillery Rocket System (HIMARS) system.
Under the current U.S. Army structure, the name "157th Field Artillery Regiment" is used to maintain Regimental Affiliations and has no regimental headquarters or Regimental Commander. 1st and 2nd Battalions (MLRS), 157th Field Artillery Regiment were disbanded in 2006 during the U.S. Army's restructuring from the traditional divisional organizational structure to the modular Brigade Combat Team model. Members from the two battalions were reorganized to form the 3rd Battalion (HIMARS), 157th Field Artillery (designated as 3-157th), part of the 169th Fires Brigade of the Colorado Army National Guard.
Battalions of the Regiment
- 1st Battalion, 157th Field Artillery Regiment (Disbanded)
- 2nd Battalion, 157th Field Artillery Regiment (Disbanded)
- 3rd Battalion (HIMARS), 157th Field Artillery Regiment
The unconventional reorganization of the 157th Field Artillery to the "3rd Battalion" allowed the reconstituted 1st Battalion, 157th Infantry Regiment of the Colorado Army National Guard reclaim its infantry lineage while maintaining the heritage of both battalions. As of October 30, 2016 1st Battalion, 157th Infantry Regiment was officially re-aligned to the 86th Infantry Brigade Combat Team (Mountain), 10th Mountain Division. It was also redesignated as a Mountain Battalion, becoming one of only 3 Mountain Infantry battalions in the Army National Guard.
Constituted 8-February 1879 in the Colorado National Guard as the 1st Infantry Battalion.
- Organized 29-December 1881 With Headquarters in Denver
Expanded and redesignated 22-March 1883 as the 1st Regiment Infantry
- Reduced and redesignated 2-April 1889 as the 1st Infantry Battalion
Expanded and redesignated 15-April 1893 as the 1st Infantry Regiment. (not to be confused with the regular army 1st Infantry Regiment)
- Consolidated with the 2nd Infantry Regiment (organized 27-may 1887) and mustered into Federal service 1–8 May 1898 at Denver as the 1st Colorado Volunteer Infantry
Mustered out of Federal Service 8-September 1899 at San Francisco, CA. and reverted to state status as the 1st Infantry Regiment.
- Expanded in 1900 as the 1st and 2nd Infantry.
1st and 2nd Infantry consolidated 15-June 1916 and designated as the 1st Infantry.
- Two battalions mustered into federal service 26-june to 29-july 1916 for service on the Mexican border as the 1st and 2nd separate battalions Colorado Infantry.
Entire Regiment drafted into federal service 5-August 1917
- Reorganized and redesignated 24-September 1917 as the 157th Infantry, an element of the 40th Division.
Consolidated 13 October 1917 with the 1st Colorado Cavalry (organized in 1880) and consolidated unit designated as the 157th Infantry. Demobilized 29 April 1919 at Fort D.A. Russell (Wyoming)
- Former Infantry elements reorganized and redesignated 28 February 1921 in the Colorado National Guard as the 177th Infantry with headquarters federally recognized 26 October 1921 at Denver.
Redesignated 16-November 1921 as the 157th Infantry, an element of the 45th Division. subsequently the 45th Infantry Division.
- Inducted into federal service 16-September 1940 at home stations.
Inactivated 3-December 1945 at Camp Bowie Texas.
- Relieved 10-May 1946 from assignment to the 45th infantry Division.
Reorganized and federally recognized 8-January 1947 with headquarters at Buckley Field (Buckley Air Force Base)
- Location of headquarters changed 3-sept 1947 to Denver.
Regiment broken up 1-August 1955 and elements converted and redesignated as follows;
- Headquarters and the 1st Battalion as the 144th Field Artillery Battalion.
- (Headquarters company as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 169th Field Artillery Group;
- headquarters and headquarters company, 2nd Battalion and Companies E, K, and L as headquarters and Headquarters Battery, Service Battery, and Batteries A, and B, 142nd Field Artillery Battalion;
- Companies F, and H as Batteries A, and B 137th Field Artillery Battalion;
- Company G as Battery B 168th Field Artillery Battalion;
- Headquarters and Headquarters Company 3rd Battalion, Company M, Medical Company, and Tank Company as Service Battery, Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, and Batteries C, and B, 183rd Field Artillery Battalion;
- Company I, and Service Company as Service Battery B 169th Field Artillery Battalion;
- Heavy Mortar Company as Battery A, 188th Antiaircraft Artillery Battalion
144th Field Artillery Battalion consolidated 1-February 1959 with the 168th Field Artillery Battalion (See ANNEX 1), the 183rd Field Artillery Battalion, and the 188th Antiaircraft Artillery Battalion, and reorganized and redesignated as the 157th Artillery, a parent Regiment under the Combat Arms Regimental System, to consist of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Howitzer Battalions.
- reorganized 1 January 1968 to consist of 1st, and 2nd Battalions.
Redesignated 1 March 1972 as the 157th Field Artillery.
Distinctive unit insignia
The distinctive unit insignia (DUI) was originally approved for the 157th Infantry Regiment on 12 June 1924. It was subsequently redesignated for the 144th Field Artillery Battalion of the Colorado National Guard on 1 May 1956. The insignia was redesignated for the 157th Artillery Regiment of the Colorado National Guard on 23 March 1961 and then redesignated for the 157th Field Artillery Regiment, Colorado Army National Guard on 28 August 1972.
The DUI is a gold color metal and enamel device 1 1/8 inches (2.86 cm) in height overall consisting of a shield blazoned: Per fess embattled Gules and Or in chief two wigwams of the second garnished of the first and in base a sea lion brandishing a sword in dexter paw of the last. Attached below and to the sides of the shield a Blue scroll inscribed "EAGER FOR DUTY" in Gold letters.
The shield is scarlet and yellow which are the Spanish colors; the parting line embattled in recollection of fortifications. The sea lion of the Philippines recalls that the fortification was the walled city of Manila. The two wigwams recall the Indian service in the frontier days.
Campaign participation credit
- War with Spain;
- Philippine Insurrection;
- Luzon 1899
- World War I;
- World War II;
All of the above WW II Campaign credits were earned as the 157th Infantry Regiment of the 45th Infantry Division.
- French Croix de Guerre with Palm, World War II, Streamer embroidered ITALY
- Headquarters Battery 2nd Bn. additionally entitled to;
- Headquarters Battery, 1st Bn. and Service Battery 1st Bn. entitled to Presidential Unit Citation (Army) Streamer embroidered ANZIO
Medal of Honor recipients
- Field Artillery Branch (United States)
- Coats of arms of U.S. Artillery Regiments
- Coats of arms of U.S. Infantry Regiments
- Felix L. Sparks
- Flint Whitlock The Rock of Anzio: From Sicily to Dachau: A History of the U.S. 45th Infantry Division Westview Press, 1998 ISBN 0-8133-3399-7