The 100-yard dash is a track and field event of 100 yards or 91.44 metres. It was part of the Commonwealth Games until 1966, and was included in the decathlon of the Olympics, at least in 1904. It is not generally used in international events (having been replaced by the 100-metre sprint). However, it is still occasionally run in the United States in certain competitions.
Notable 100-yard dash runners
|F. C. Saportas||1870||10.5||Official world record|
|Horace H. Lee||1877||10.0||Equalled official world record|
|W. C. Wilmer||1878||10.0||Equalled official world record|
|Lon Myers||1880||10.0||Equalled official world record|
|Arthur Wharton||1886||10.0||Equalled official world record|
|J. Owen, Jr.||1890||9.8||Official world record|
|R.P. Williams||1906||9.0||5 separate time pieces|
|D. J. Kelly||1906||9.6||Official world record|
|Jack Donaldson||Johannesburg, 1910||9.375||World record|
|Eric Liddell||1924||9.7||British record|
|Eddie Tolan||1929||9.5||Official world record|
|Frank Wykoff||Chicago 7 June 1930||9.4||Official world record, without starting blocks|
|Jesse Owens||1933||9.4||Equalled world record, set US high school record|
|Mel Patton||1948||9.3||Official world record|
|James Jackson||Alameda High School, Alameda, California, 1954||9.4||Equalled US high-school record|
|Ken Irvine||1961||9.3||Equalled professional 100-yard world record|
|Harry Jerome||1962||9.2||Record made Jerome the only athlete to own both the 100-yard and 100 meter world record simultaneously.|
|Frank Budd||1962||9.2||Official world record|
|John Carlos||1969||9.1||Hand-timed, equalled Hayes's world record|
|Houston McTear||1975 Florida HS State Prelims, Winter Park, FL||9.0||Unofficial and hand-timed. In 1975 registered a time of 9.30 seconds.|
|Pharnell Raines||1971, Fort Myers, Florida||9.2||High school record, hand-timed|
|Asafa Powell||27 May 2010||9.07+ (−0.5 m/s)||Official World Best, en route to 100m|
|Veronica Campbell-Brown||31 May 2011||9.91+ (+1.1 m/s)||Official World Best, en route to 100m|
|Chi Cheng||13 June 1970||10.0||Portland, Oregon|
+ = en route to a longer distance
- "Video". CNN. 27 December 1999. Retrieved 30 September 2010.
- Article in The Rotarian June 1940 "What is the Human Limit" by Jim Thorpe pg.18
- "100 Yards Results" (PDF). www.zlatatretra.cz. 27 May 2010. Retrieved 27 May 2010.
- "100 Yards Results" (PDF). www.zlatatretra.cz. 31 May 2011. Retrieved 31 May 2011.
- All-time men's best 100 yards www.alltime-athletics.com
- "Alameda Sprinter Rates with Greatest Prep Runners". Alameda Times-Star. 24 May 1954. Archived from the original on 10 January 2008. Retrieved 26 December 2007.
- Newspaper articles Tribune Cap 6 October 1930 (Des Moines, Iowa ?) and Los Angeles Times Jan 1974 cited on Frank Wykoff tribute website