Doktora tezi 1980 yılında Chicago Üniversitesinde kültürel antropoloji dalında Yupik kültürü üzerine 1976-77 yıllarında Nelson Adasında yaptığı saha çalışmasıdır.
- 1983 : The Nelson Island Eskimo: Social Structure and Ritual Distribution. Anchorage, AK: Alaska Pacific University Press.
- 1986 : "When Our Bad Season Comes: A Cultural Account of Subsistence Harvesting & Harvest Disruption on the Yukon Delta". Alaska Anthropological Assn.
- 1990 : Eskimo Essays: Yup'ik Lives and How We See Them. New Brunswick, NJ: Rutgers University Press.
- 1991 : The Real People and the Children of Thunder: The Yup'Ik Eskimo Encounter With Moravian Missionaries John and Edith Kilbuck. Norman, OK: University of Oklahoma Press.
- 1994 : Boundaries and Passages: Rule and Ritual in Yup'ik Eskimo Oral Tradition. Norman, OK: University of Oklahoma Press. [computer file]
- 1995 : "Freeze Frame: Alaska Eskimos in the Movies". Seattle, WA: University of Washington Press.
- 1996 : The Living Tradition of Yup'ik Masks: Agayuliyararput (Our Way of Making Prayer). Seattle, WA: University of Washington Press.
- 2000 : Hunting Tradition in a Changing World: Yup'ik Lives in Alaska Today. New Brunswick, NJ: Rutgers University Press.
- 2000 : "Where the Echo Began: and Other Oral Traditions from Southwestern Alaska Recorded by Hans Himmelheber Ed". Anchorage, AK: University of Alaska Press.
- 2001 : What's in a Name? Becoming a Real Person in a Yup'ik Community. University of Nebraska Press.
- 2005 : (ortak: Alice Rearden) "Wise Words of the Yup'ik People: We Talk to You because We Love You". University of Nebraska Press.
- 2005 : (ortak: Marie Meade ve Alice Rearden) "Yup'ik Words of Wisdom: Yupiit Qanruyutait". University of Nebraska Press.
- "Agayuliyararput (Our Way of Making Prayer): The Living Tradition of Yup'ik Masks". Beginning at the University of Alaska Museum, Fairbanks, and Alaska State Museum, Juneau in 1996, the exhibition than traveled to the National Museum of the American Indian, New York, Smithsonian's National Museum of Natural History, Washington, D.C., ending at the Seattle (Wash.) Art Museum in 1998.
- "Yuungnaqpiallerput (The Way We Genuinely Live): Masterworks of Yupik Science and Survival". The exhibition opened in 2007 at the Anchorage Museum and from 2009-2010 traveled to museums in Fairbanks, Juneau, and Washington, DC.
- Yılın Tarihçisi (Historian of the Year), Alaska Historical Society, 1991, 2001
- Distinguished Humanities Educator (Alaska), 2001
- Denali Award, 2000, Alaska Federation of Natives, for the greatest contribution by a non-Native