IPFS Weekly 16
by Jenn Turner on 2018-10-30
Welcome to the IPFS Weekly. 👋
The InterPlanetary File System (IPFS) is a new hypermedia distribution protocol, addressed by content and identity. IPFS enables the creation of completely distributed applications. It aims to make the web faster, safer, and more open. Since that’s a pretty large scope, we track development across the ecosystem in this weekly dispatch.
Want this update in your inbox? Subscribe to our weekly newsletter!
Here are some of the highlights since the last IPFS Weekly.
- VIDEOS: See Juan Benet’s talk from the recent Web3 Summit, “What exactly is Web3?” and Mike Goelzer’s talk, “Libp2p: A Modular, P2P Networking Stack.”
- This week folks from Protocol Labs will be hanging out at devcon in Prague. If you’re around town be sure to reach out and chat IPFS with them.
- Sweet IPFS is finally here. Download the full (beta) IPFS node for Android at Google Play.
- Check out the new media section of the libp2p site for the latest videos and articles on all things libp2p.
- Learn how to implement a payment channel with Libp2p in this video from Lucas Vogelsang, also from the Web3 Summit.
IPFS in the wild
- Manyverse and Scuttlebutt: A human-centric technology stack for social applications, 25 Oct 2018
- Check out this IPLD demo, 24 Oct 2018
- YottaChain unlocks the potential of the IPFS protocol, 23 Oct 2018
- The 5 steps to end-to-end encrypted photo storage and sharing, Textile.io, 23 Oct 2018
Updates and new releases
See the latest releases of IPFS tools and projects across the ecosystem.
- go-ipfs 0.4.18-rc1 - First Release Candidate of largest go-ipfs release to date, 3 months in the making. If you are okay with living on the bleeding edge, please install and test! 😎
Tools and projects we <3
Awesome IPFS is a community maintained and updated list of projects, tools, or pretty much any things related to IPFS that are totally awesome. To see more, or add yours to the list, visit Awesome IPFS on GitHub.
- Introducing Agora v2: Get ready to cast your vote, 24 Oct 2018
- Go Demo Rock-Paper-Scissors with libp2p, 24 Oct 2018
- Small Focused Modules, Sindre Sorhus, 25 Oct 2018
- Human Rights Review of QUIC, a new encrypted-by-default transport protocol aiming to make traffic more secure – and much more.
- Coinbase and Circle announce the launch of USDC — a Digital Dollar, 23 Oct 2018
- This new zine Oh Shit, Git! Recipes for gitting out of a git mess, 21 Oct 2018
- How CryptoSource Eliminates Fake News with BloomID, Bloom Blog, 16 Oct 2018
- Mozilla’s libdweb, an extension containing experimental libdweb APIs.
Coming up in the Community
Did you know IPFS has a community forum at discuss.ipfs.io? Sign up to participate in discussions about coding, tutorials, see announcements and learn about upcoming community events.
- devcon iv is sold out, but lots of IPFS fans will be there, so keep an eye out! Oct 30 - Nov 2, Prague, Czech Republic
- Dapp Dev & Crypto Games Hack Berlin 3-4, Nov 2018
- Introducing Decentralized Camp’s second yearly hackathon, 9-11 Nov 2018
- Sign up to be notified for IPFS Conf 2019, in Lisbon.
- Introducing AraCon, the first Aragon Conference, will take place in Berlin, Germany on January 29-30, 2019.
Thanks for reading ☺️
That’s it for this week’s news on all things IPFS. If we missed something, reply to this email and let us know! That way we can feature you in next week’s edition.